Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Little Relief, Please!

I am a runner.  Not the fast, speedy-Gonzalez type, but rather the slow, hitting-the-streets-everyday type.  I have never won a race (and never will), but I love this sport more than I can ever express to you through simple words.
This love affair began more than eight years ago when I got the urge to throw on my shoes and head out the door.  Two miles later, I was collapsed on my kitchen floor, struggling for breath, and smiling from ear to ear. 
What I did not know in that moment was how much joy this sport would bring to my life over the following years.  It has helped me through the rough days and allowed me to celebrate the good ones.  I have made friends that I would not have made otherwise and, most importantly, I have been reminded that I am capable of nearly anything if I have faith and determination in myself.
The world in which we live is a busy, stress-filled place and can easily cause one to become discouraged and overwhelmed.  No matter if we are employed, searching for work, or awaiting a promotion, there are just times when one needs to be able to vent and refocus their efforts.  For me, this is where running enters the scene.  I can be a mess when I leave and come back with a new outlook on life and ready to conquer the world!
None of us have perfect lives and we all require some form of relief and some way of coming back to center.  The world is a tough place and often calls for a solid line of defense.  If you do not currently have this plan in place, I urge you to take a moment now, step away from the computer, and develop a few ideas.  For some it is biking, yoga, or swimming while for others it may be gardening, building, or drawing.  The possibilities are truly limitless and you must find what works for you.
So often, we put these type of activities last.  I certainly did this with running during the early months.  I would hit the road once or twice a week because that’s all the time I thought I had.  So untrue!  I now realize there is always time for a run and that something else may just have to wait.  Running makes me a better woman and certainly a more hospitable resident here on Earth.  I am more successful at my job and a stronger part of our work environment when my runs are regular and consistent.
Find what brings you joy and peace and you will forever be thankful.  I can promise that it will give you a whole new outlook on yourself and your life.  The little things will seem smaller and you’ll begin to see what truly matters and how big of a difference you can make. 
Until next time,
Kristie

No comments:

Post a Comment